The PADI Divemaster course is the first professional level of training. With the collaboration of a PADI Instructor, you will improve your diving skills, learn how to hover effortlessly, and refine your rescue skills so that you can easily solve common problems. Enhance your diving skills to become a diving role model in any part of the world.
As a PADI Divemaster, you can guide people on the most varied dives, but you can also assist an instructor during a course. Whether you want to work in a diving destination far away or close to home in a local dive centre, the adventure of a lifetime awaits you. PADI Divemasters are respected diving professionals that are an important part of the largest and most respected organization of diving-PADI.
In order to enroll in the PADI Divemaster program, you need to be at least 18 years of age and be a PADI Rescue Diver.
Also you need:
- Emergency First Response Primary and Secondary Care (CPR and First Aid) within the last 24 months.
- A Medical Statement signed by a physician within the last 12 months.
- At least 40 logged dives to start the course and 60 dives to complete the certification.
Certifications from other organizations for CPR and first aid can be accepted -ask your PADI Instructor.
What will you learn?
The PADI Divemaster course teaches you to be a leader when it comes to diving activities. Through knowledge development sessions, exercises and practical evaluations, develop the skills to organize and direct a variety of diving activities. The practical topics of the course include:
- The role and characteristics of the PADI Divemaster
- Supervising diving activities for certified divers
- Assisting with student divers in training
- Deeper understanding of dive theory
- Safety of divers and risk management
- The business of diving and your career
- Knowledge of the diving environment
- Mapping a local open water site
- Conducting dive briefings
- Organizing a search and recovery project and a deep dive
- Conducting scuba reviews for out of practice divers
- Assistance with the Discover Scuba Diving and Discover Local Diving programs
You may be able to obtain university credits: ask in your dive center.
Ways to do the course:
If you qualify for the Portuguese Estagiar scheme or the European Eurodysee scheme you could join us as a paid intern where you would learn how to be a divemaster and then put into practice what you have learnt as a qualified member of the dive team.
For everyone else why not take the divemaster course over a month? This would give you time to go through the required course elements and gain practice of those items which would be the most useful to you when you return home. The best months to come are June, July and September when we are doing plenty of courses, guiding lots of divers and performing plenty of discover scubas.
The cost to do divemaster as a course is €750. The divemaster crewpack and the PADI Divemaster Application fee are not included in the cost of the course. Because independent study is required for this program, candidates need to purchase materials ahead of time; therefore they are not included in the cost of the course. You can opt to do the paper manual or on-line e-learning. We can purchase the crewpack on your behalf (subject to pre-payment).
Independent study is the key to success with this program. Completing the Knowledge Reviews in the manual or via e-learning ahead of time will be extremely helpful.